Sunday 21 October 2012

Meltdown


The first week with our new baby girl Rachel was amazing. We sat and played with her; we cuddled her, fed her, bathed her, rocked her and sang to her. She was quiet that first week, taking us in and looking around at her new life. She met so many new family members, so many happy faces and open arms. I think how overwhelming it would be for me to meet dozens of new people while living in a new place and being looked after by strangers – crazy! And yet our girl took it all in her stride, quietly confident and slowly becoming more happy and affectionate.

As for me, the change from wife to Mom caught me off guard. I was prepared, as prepared as you can ever be, and yet I was thrown once she was here. You can never fully understand what the transition will be like until you are in it. And with the stress, life change and lack of sleep came some emotional moments. Moments when I became overwhelmed by the enormity of the situation and had to have a good cry.  And there is nothing that can make you feel better than a good cry. Expect maybe a cup of tea, chocolate and a cuddle! Don’t get me wrong, I loved having my baby girl with us, but some things just hit me hard.

Meltdown 1: A week after Rachel arrived I sat on the couch after putting her down for the night and burst into tears. I couldn’t explain it to my husband other than saying “she’s here forever, she’s not going away!” It hit me then that this was forever, she would be there tomorrow morning when I woke up, and the next day, and the next. This was life now, utterly and permanently changed. And so I had to mourn my old life, things like shopping for hours, sleeping in, and spontaneous dinners with friends. It is such an adjustment in such a short period of time that it threw me. Even though I was expecting it, it still hurt.

Meltdown 2: Happened about 10 days after Rachel was with us. She had slept through the night the first week and we were thanking our lucky stars, and then on the 10th night she was up at 2am. Moaning and tired, but not sleeping. I tried everything. I changed her nappy, I rubbed her tummy, I picked her up and rocked her, cuddled her, swaddled her, I sang to her and hummed to her. Nothing worked. After an hour my husband walked in sleepily saying “is everything ok” and I asked him very nicely to take over (ok, in reality I said “I can’t do this anymore” and walked out). I sat on the bed and cried. I was SO tired! I was exhausted, mentally, emotionally and physically. I was crying because it dawned on me that I would not be getting uninterrupted sleep anymore, or sleep-ins, or mid-afternoon sleeps. And how I love my sleep! And so I had a break down and felt sorry for myself for a little bit, and then fell asleep. (And wouldn’t you know, it only took Mike 5 minutes to get her to sleep after all my work!)


Meltdown 3: One month in and I overheard my husband making arrangements with some friends to go on a hike one afternoon. I held it in until we got home, then ranted emotionally at him. I couldn’t understand how he could make a plan with friends when it would mean firstly I would not see him the whole afternoon, and secondly that I would have to look after Rachel alone. I realized that the reason I was upset was because my life had changed so completely, and his life could still look a little bit the same. He got to go to work and see his colleagues, he could go for a run, and make a plan to go on a hike; his life still had patterns of life before Rachel. Me, well there was nothing of my old life. I wasn’t at work anymore, I couldn’t go to gym or the shops without it being a mission, even seeing friends was different as I could not give my undivided attention. And when I knew Mike had time off it meant that I got a bit of a break because we could tag team with Rachel, so if suddenly he wasn’t around when I thought he would be, I freaked out. We talked about it (mostly because he didn’t even realise I felt that way), and made plans for how we would navigate making decisions to see friends in the future. But it helped to cry it out, to explain my feelings, and to get a cuddle and an “I understand” from someone who loves me.

And so this time of parenthood that I have been ushered into has brought on many exasperated tears and emotional outbursts. This is definitely the most difficult thing I have ever done, raising a child. And yet, it is the most amazing, marvellous, worthwhile and blessed miracle too. I have moments when it’s all too much, but mostly I’m smiling because my daughter gave me a hug without my prompting, or because she is giggling to herself while playing, or because she looks at me and smiles. What joy!

P.s. I have learnt that just because we adopted, doesn’t mean my hormones and emotions aren’t all over the place, and that it is normal and ok to feel happy and sad and overwhelmed and exhilarated all at once. I also have Mommy brain, in that I keep forgetting mundane and important things like house keys when I go out, or coffee dates I have made with friends. I am learning to have a humble heart and an apologetic spirit, but that it is ok to not have everything together right now… I just became a Mom!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations. You sound just like the rest of us. It's wonderful and exhausting. Welcome to motherhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally, totally, totally normal stuff. You are a mom. It's the real deal. And, yes, freaky and scary and overwhelming (in a good and bad way!). Hang in there - it won't be long and you seriously will hardly be able to remember what it felt like to not have her a part of your life. Embrace your new reality - and take naps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I loved reading your post and your honesty about the challenges inherent in the shift to motherhood. I have a feeling that I would/will totally freak out with such a huge shift! You are doing great--it's so smart to talk about how you're feeling and what you need with loved ones and it's important to get support, including from your cheering section in the "blog world!" :) Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say I went through the same thing! I think it's a totally normal reaction. Give yourself time and grace and know God will work all the kinks out in time! :) we can't imagine life without our daughter now and I feel like I'm at least beginning to get a grasp on this whole "mom" thing. :) praying for your continuing transition!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey just stumbled upon this now [hoping for an update!] and it is a great blog, just because it is raw and rough and honest and real i guess, all the things i can fully appreciate - obviously i can't understand experientially what you are going through but i get it enough [marriage had many elements of that for me i think - out with the old, in with the new] to feel for you and trust that as life goes on you will get better at it and learn new ways and rhythms and so great to be doing that with someone who loves you and can listen and hopefully 'get' it... love watching you guys grow into this [good, bad ad ugly!] - keep on, love b

    ReplyDelete